The Secretary General of the Central Committee of the of the Cameroon People’s Democratic Movement, Jean Kuete issued a circular signed on February 13, 202, detailing the legal provisions for the investiture of candidates for mayor in municipalities where the CPDM won.
The CPDM noted that various actors involved with designation of the mayor and their deputies must ensure strict compliance with the law of December 24, 2019 on the General Code of Decentralized and Local Authorities as well as the basic texts of the party.
The circular also specifies that a CPDM bureau charged with assisting the municipal councilors throughout their mandate will be set up prior to the holding of the session of right of the municipal and city councils.
The bureau will be composed all the elected municipal councilors of the party, chaired by a president and assisted by a secretary. They latter are elected by their peers during the working session chaired by a representative of the Central Committee.
Elections of mayors and their deputies
Jean Kuete noted that the elected CPDM municipal councilors to run for Mayors and their deputies are invested by the party’s municipal group during the session as of right in accordance with the provisions of article 23, paragraph 5 of the party statutes.
The conditions for eligibility include:
– Obligatory Residence; Article 144 of the law on the General Code of Decentralized and Local Authorities requires that members of the municipal executive to reside in the chief town of the municipality.
– Incompatibilities; the functions of mayors are incompatible with those of Member of Parliament, Senator, Director General, Director of Central Administration and among others.
– Be of good character; avoid corruption.
– Respect discipline.
Mayor of city Council and assistants
According to article 246 of the law on the General Code of Decentralized and Local Authorities, mayor of the city council should be a native of the region of the urban council. The election of deputy mayors of the city must take into account:
– sociological diversity,
– requirements for representation of gender and young people,
– concern for the renewal of party elites and the spirit of sharing.
Cet article est apparu en premier sur http://www.crtv.cm/2020/02/237vote-procedures-for-investiture-of-cpdm-mayors-announced/